The sale of the currency in Iraq The destruction of the economy of Iraq and the revival of the economy of Iran
The sale of the currency in Iraq The destruction of the economy of Iraq and the revival of the economy of Iran
Investor Shatha Khalil
The sale of foreign currency – a dollar law ordered by the civil governor Paul Bremer in 2004, the only auction in the Middle East,
one of the biggest challenges facing the Iraqi state, distorting the policy and destroying the economy, the auction continued to work until It has now been exploited by influential figures and officials in the political process associated with Iran to smuggle money into Iraq and launder and circulate funds for the Iranian economy in financing terrorism and confronting US sanctions and their own interests.
Many economists have differed about identifying the problem as a major, a new form of economic corruption associated with money laundering in Iraq, which has become a means of smuggling money from Iraq.
In the center of the links where she noted the text “According to the investigation committees of the Iraqi Council of Representatives and international reports have been the waste and looted $ 312 billion dollars over the past years, the proceeds of oil pumped by the Central Bank of Iraq to the markets, and most of them were turned abroad. This is a number that is very large in a country suffering a suffocating economic crisis, the situation in the state of “wealth” borrowed from the IMF to cover its expenses!
Dr. Nabih Nadeem Al-Obaidi summarized the working paper presented at the first conference of the Iraqi-American National Friendship Association on 5 January 2019, the seriousness of the currency auction in the destruction of the Iraqi economy and the extent of Iran’s benefit from it:
The auction of the currency contributes to the money laundering and recycling process in favor of Iran. He mentioned some analytical financial indicators that explain the systematic destructive role of this auction:
• The Central Bank of the US dollar sales for the period (1/10/20041 / 10/2016) amounted to (408.875) Billion dollars to cover the needs of imports, while the real value of imports for the same period (61.3) billion dollars, while the value of the remaining difference of the amount (347.5) billion dollars is missing until the moment .. The question of where he went?
• In 2010, the Central Bank’s auction sales amounted to $ 36.2 billion. The report of the Financial Supervision Bureau submitted to the Secretariat of the Council of Ministers indicated that the number of meetings held by the Central Bank for Auction recorded in the Central Report (242) The sales of the auction for the period of (212) only, proving that there are (30) sales of the dollar is missing the statements and amounts and the parties to which the dollar was sold to .. What does that mean? Where did the money go?
• A “model” for measuring the auction on 6/11/2018 with a total value of sales (125,725,602) dollars for a total of (30) banks and financial institutions, and by adopting this figure as a default rate for 2017 to reach (45.252) billion dollars per year, Trade exchange with Iran (6.7) billion dollars, and the remaining (39.4) billion dollars are missing … Where did you go?
• Actual export capacity of Iraqi oil from the ports of Basra increased from 2.9 million barrels per day for the first quarter of the year to (3.560) million barrels, and then to (4,600) million barrels per day in the last months of the year (2018) (according to the announcement of the Minister of Oil) The export price rate for the period (1/530/10/2018) reached about (70.713) dollars per barrel. Therefore, the value of resources for the year will reach about (101.826) billion dollars.
• The rate of the sale of foreign currency (dollar) per day “amounted to (125 – 182) million dollars during the year (2018) and the minimum value of sales will total for the year (45.252) billion dollars, and thus will constitute the dollar sales of the Central Bank (44.44%) of the oil resources, which also constitute a rate of (261%) of the allocation of the Kurdistan region budget (1 y 7%) of oil resources, is this reasonable?
• This does not constitute a drain on resources and smuggling of funds outside of Iraq and sabotage of the Iraqi economic system.
• The documents issued by the Bureau of Financial Supervision – the Department of Finance and Distribution activity sent to the Secretariat of the Council of Ministers, revealed that there are individuals and specific banks through which the process of selling and buying and smuggling of currency outside Iraq, including:
1. Al Huda Bank
2. Al Tayeb Finance
Company 3. Iraqna For financial financing
4. Al-Mithaj for financial financing
5. There are also financial and commercial companies do not have a fictitious headquarters in Iraq to carry out crimes of money laundering by enabling them to open accounts in several banks.
The question … For the benefit of those who continue this sabotage activity, which is subject to the influence of senior officials in the political process linked to Iran? Iran has banking and financial institutions and covers of individuals and institutions supporting and supporting the financing of the economy and the expansionist expansion and Iranian terrorism.
The role of Iran’s sabotage and economic player in Iraq has become very clear, after the package of the US blockade of Iran, which is supposed to start the blockade of its mechanisms and procedures from Iraq to impose the ring.
Attempts by some “loyal” politicians to stop the currency auction implemented by the Central Bank of Iraq after 180 million dollars a day failed, but their attempts were unsuccessful in their boycott of organized corruption backed by militias and armed parties linked to smuggling networks inside and outside the country. Invoices are not within the jurisdiction of the Bank, but rather within the jurisdiction of the Department of Economic Crime of the Ministry of the Interior.
In the light of this corruption and the looting of public money, it was not unlikely that Iraq would be classified for two consecutive years as the most corrupt countries and its ill effects on the already weak Iraqi entity. These are some of the negative repercussions that have emerged in political, economic, social and cultural life.
• Destruction of the Iraqi economy.
• Deplete the central bank’s reserve of hard currency and gold bullion, which in turn affects local currency exchange.
• The growing phenomenon of money laundering.
• The instability of the economic situation, which directly affects the political situation.
• Exchange rate fluctuation.
• The Iraqi economy is subject to the fluctuations of the local market.
• The Central Bank reserve in 2009 declined to 35%.
• Loss of independence of the Central Bank of Iraq.
• The gap between the official exchange rate and the market price widens.
• Unemployment reached 39% and poverty reached 40%.
• Balance of payments deficit and low production capacity.
• The growth and spread of corruption and theft of public funds and weak social ties.
Economists, including Nabih al-Obeidi, stress the need to stop the currency auction, which weakened and destroyed the Iraqi economy, and limit the investment and smuggling of sales of the dollar auction from the Central Bank of Iraq to Iran to support its economy in the face of US sanctions imposed on it.
Based on the above, the economic expert Nabih al-Obeidi suggested the following treatments:
Cancellation of the decision of the sale of foreign currency and the instructions issued thereunder, and the appointment of the Office of Financial Supervision as a liquidator to review and check the contents of the auction and settle their accounts by the Office of Financial Supervision in accordance with the general and legal rules in the liquidation of accounts for companies.
The Central Bank issued a resolution obliging banks and private financial institutions to adopt self-financing in dollars to cover their needs in banking transactions, and to cover bank accounts for documentary credits, remittances, deposits with foreign banks, withdrawals and remittances of companies and individuals and within the limits permitted by the Central Bank.
Strengthen the control of the Central Bank on private banks and sections of foreign transfers and documentary credits to verify the issuers as accredited companies in the Chambers of Commerce and Industry of their countries, letters of guarantee and exporters banks and certificates of origin and examination of the third party inspection third to verify the authenticity of imports.
Subjecting the accounts of private banks to the audit and examination of records and documents and financial lists similar to the government sector and ratification of the government and the report to the Central Bank of Iraq an exception to the law of private companies for their connections and financial transactions with banks and foreign financial institutions in order to tighten control and reduce the smuggling of funds to Iran and abroad.
The central bank should provide private loans to banks in dollars through the bank deposit reserve in dollars, by linking the borrower’s bank with the reserve of the other bank (bank loan to a bank) and by informing the lending bank and settling for its account in the reserve.
Taking all the observations and reservations received from the Office of Financial Supervision on the Central Bank and respond to them and discuss and take action on them by the Council of Ministers and the legislative authority.
Reasons for Iran’s fear of stopping the auction of currency in Iraq:
The continuation of the auction contributes to revive the economic situation of Iran at the expense of Iraq by easing the economic embargo imposed by America on Iran and its failure through banks and companies employed for Iran, whether real or fake.
The issuance of the new currency by the Central Bank under the supervision of the World Bank and against the cash reserve of hard currency – dollar – a basket of currencies, gold cover for the value of the national currency issued and checks and documents documented the size of the currency and its categories and numbers after examination and receipt by a committee in the Central Bank, The currency is not usually numbered by the printing press, but it is done in the central bank and it is done in the printing press, in the presence of representatives of the Central Bank and documentation.
The reserve allocated to the national currency is subject to an assessment of the World Bank’s control and inspection. Thus, what is rumored about the smuggling of part of the new currency into Iran is incorrect; it represents a threat to Iraq by forging the new currency by Iran and pumping it into the Iraqi market through its agents of Islamic party leaders And their militias who, through their real and imaginary companies, will buy the dollar from the dollar sale auction to the CBI.
The second threat If the auction is stopped, Iran and its influential agents in the political process and the government will flood the Iraqi market with the new counterfeit currency in order to reduce the exchange rate of the Iraqi currency against the dollar as a result of the increased demand for the dollar against the decline in supply on one hand, This is promoted by Iran and inflated for the purpose of preventing the issuance of a decision to stop the auction, and dependence on banks collusive, which will stop financing imports on the pretext of insufficient funding to create economic chaos on the one hand, and pressure on those who are the government complicit with Iran Lack of response to the siege Alomerreqi on Iran, on the other hand.